I’ve successfully boarded by fourth major form of transportation in three days: taxi, plane, car, and now an Amtrak train from Columbus, Wisconsin to Minneapolis Minnesota.
You may be asking “Why, Lerae, why another transportation-themed blog? We’re tired of hearing about you moving around. Give us something good -- maybe talk about the poop on the streets of Guatemala, or, you haven’t mentioned food in a while.”
Well hold your horses, I’m sure I’ll let my stomach start writing my entries again soon. But for now getting around the world is a big deal to me – I’m proud I’ve made it this far, it was not without its challenges.
Let’s back up. So last week Friday I was all gearing up to hop on a plane the next morning and fly my way into my home state and the waiting car of my sister and boyfriend. I opened my email, found my Priceline confirmation, and fell back on my bed as I read “Returning flight: February 14, 2009.”
Needless to say I mist have been a little distracted in December when I bought my flight to Guatemala, because I somehow managed to miss the day I actually needed to fly home by a month. After some frantic phone calls, smooth talking by Colin and a dear woman at an airline named Diane (I owe her), and a couple big cries, I got on another flight for Monday.
(It must be noted that although I missed some much anticipated time with Colin, his family, and some other friends, the weekend didn’t turn out all bad. I got to attend a wedding of a friend in Guatemala, dancing and a birthday party. Not too shabby. Almost as exciting was my Saturday morning relaxation on my tiny patio, getting a tan and listening to Wait Wait, Don’t Tell me on online streaming NPR.)
I made it to the airport on time, squeaked through customs with enough time to run through the airport to my connecting flight’s gate with a red face, sweaty armpits and my belt in my hand and find I was upgraded to first class.
So from there it’s been a pleasant day at home, a trip to Wisconsin to visit my grandparents, and now a ride with plenty of leg room to St. Paul where my dear, almost married friend will pick me up and I’ll be swept into her wedding weekend activities.
I’m just glad I haven’t managed to further mess up my travel plans – but to those of you coming to visit in April, maybe you should double check our reservations. July, right?
1 comment:
Loved the ending. Sad I didn't get to see you. I so so so so so so so so so so so so so so want to come see you!
Krista
Post a Comment