4.16.2009

Seguro y Feliz

I've just returned from an adventure with some friends from DC (and Jenny the Randar, from here in Guatemala.) There are FAR too many stories to share here, but I thought I'd share some photos I nabbed from my friends off facebook so that you can all be in awe of how great the past week was.


Copan Ruins, in Honduras. I love Mayan ruins, and these were no exception.



Lovely Lauren. Love her. We spent last Easter together as interns in DC, and were reunited again this year. Tradition?


On the boat on the way to Utila, one of the bay islands. A sign outside the dock said "seguro y feliz," which means safe and happy. It was anything but. That hour and half ended up being the worst of my life - really. It started out somewhat fun, with everyone in the packed cabin screaming happily as the boat tipped back and forth and huge waves smashed into the front windows where the "brave boys" stood laughing. It all dropped off quickly as the man distributing plastic bags began to run from puking person to puking person. I started praying that the boat would tip over, if that gives you any indication of how I was feeling.


In Utila the next day, standing by a dive shop. We were discriminated against almost everywhere we went because weren't getting scuba certified. Whatever.


We walked around the island, and when we got tired we hopped in the back of some hippie's Gator.


I feel as though this would be a good time to mention how incredible my co-travelers were. I mean, this picture pretty much says it all - they're funny, fun-loving and so easy going. And have a long successful modeling career ahead of them.


Snorkeling: not as "cool" as scuba diving, but much more stylish.


At this moment they were freaking out about giant spiders. I happen to like giant spiders, so I instead marvelled at the crazy quirky sculptures at this place, called the Jade Seahorse and created by some artist from California.


Self explanatory. It was a beautiful place.

Jenny and I were sorely disppointed when the bakery on the island was closed for Easter the morning we went to buy bagels. Thankfully, Antigua didn't let us down. The joy flowed.


Apparently the guy who took this picture thought Austin and Lauren were married. Obviously, he was unaware that Austin had recently told Lauren she looked like a less-than-flattering animal.

In a little boat on Lake Atitlan, surrounded by volcanoes.


The view from out hostel. It was so relaxing and beautiful. I set up camp in a hammock and probably could have stayed there for the rest of my life.


Nathan jumping off a cliff. (I did it too.)

I love Jenny, Lauren, Austin, Nathan, volcanoes, lakes, Guatemala and this trip.



No comments: