Lately I've been throwing a lot of pity parties for myself. Things are changing: my roommate is getting married, I'm engaged, I'm moving, two of my favorite people in Guatemala are leaving this weekend to the United States with another one to follow shortly, and it's hard for me to deal with all of that at once. Life just started to settle into a routine and it's going to change significantly within the next month.
This morning at the breakfast to say goodbye to Meredith, one of the interns who is leaving this weekend, I teared up a little bit thinking about it. I treasured those tears, lanning to construct a really crabby day out of them. I came back to the office, sat at my desk and let myself get sad and nostaligic about missing graduation, saying goodbye to friends and not being around the people I love most and who love me back. It's been hard lately.
I was all set for another bad day. And then:
I got to talk to one of my dearest friends on gchat. It's been hit and miss communicating with him lately, as he's been finishing school and getting ready to start Teach For America next month. We had a lot of classes together over the past 3 years and I know no matter what he will always, always be there for me (and the conversation will be amazingly fun, as well). I'm hoping for a visit this fall.
As soon as I finished that conversation, Meredith came back from the grocery store with a beautiful hydrangea plant - my love plant. It's been sitting on my desk all day making me happy, both because of its brilliant blue color and because I LOVE that Mer brought it to me. I promise not to kill it.
To increase the loveliness of the day, I got an email from Jessica, two letters in the mail (both amazing, and one of TEN pages) and was able to chat with my prayer partner in DC on the phone.
Add one long conversation about faith with Jenny to that mix, carrot cake cupcakes, and the tearful day was turned upside down.
No comments:
Post a Comment