I was talking with a friend yesterday about an experience on a flight last weekend in which I realized I was sitting in front of someone I [sort of] knew. As I'm pretty bad at telling stories in a way that people can understand (I think it's a reflection of how jumbled the thoughts in my head are) she asked me to clarify if I was flying home. I had to think for a second. "Home" means a lot of things these days.
At its most basic, "home" means the house I'm living in here in Guatemala. I've been through a lot within its walls, and I love it very much. I'm moving out in a couple of weeks, though, so it won't hold the title much longer.
I suppose Guatemala feels like home, too. I've become pretty accustomed to living here, although I still miss things like customer service and stable traffic patterns (although it is fun guessing what direction cars will be going down a street at any given time). I crave tortillas at least once a day. I read the Guatemala newspaper before checking the Washington Post (but still after the New York Times). I miss my friends here when I'm gone. For this year, my life is here, and it fits.
However, last weekend cleared up any confusion I might feel about where I truly belong. I headed back to Michigan for a quick visit and from the moment I saw my curly-haired fiance walking quickly toward me in baggage claim, I felt at home. I felt like myself. I fit into my surroundings in a way I don't ever think will be possible here.
It was a fantastic three days. I was able to spend time with my family (who I now miss even more than before), future family and friends. Although it was unseasonably chilly, I enjoyed being back in the land of cherries and gardens and green open space. I loved being with my crazy loud brothers and sisters, playing Apples to Apples and I loved talking to my parents about wedding plans (a new experience for all of us).
Better than everything else was the glimpse of what everyday life will be like soon. It didn't matter if we were hanging out with friends or with family or just running to Walgreens and obsessing over what chapstick I should buy (Burt's Bees, and he did more watching than obsessing) -- I enjoyed being with Colin so much. I'm so much more relaxed and happy when we're together. Sharing experiences instead of trying to explain to each other what our lives are like on Skype felt like a gift.
So I'm back in this temporary home that I love very much and will be sad to leave in November, but with a sense of excitement for what's next: life with the ones I love. With Colin. Home.
4 comments:
I miss you more now than ever too. You shouldn't tease me like that.
Love you.
I love you and loved every moment of having you home!
Lerae this is a beautiful post....but just don't forget that you haven't checked out Oz yet.
Lerae! I have been busy so I am catching up on your blog!
I loved this post! AHH!!! you were in MI!!! and you got to see Colin! how wonderful! Life is good, isn't it? Home can be in many places! I have three homes now! I am sure you will miss Guate when you leave! but enjoy your time there! soon you will be back in MI with your fam and with Colin!
Love you
Post a Comment