10.07.2009

Chocobananas

One of the better inventions to hit the world of food is fruit dipped in chocolate.

I had almost forgotten how strongly I believe in this statement until my return last weekend to Boca del Monte, a neighborhood to the south of Guatemala City where I lived for the first many months of my internship. I'm now living with my former roommate (Jo)'s inlaws which is fun and also means I'm ever so much closer to my favorite Aussie and her hubby, who live about 5 minutes away.

The first weekend in February - already eight months ago, can you believe it? - Jo and Victor picked me up, helped me move into the apartment, and then took me to the magical little restaurant/stand where they know the secret of all things delicious: frozen bananas with a chocolate shell.

I mean, consider the wonder of the chocobanana: it's covered in chocloate, which would make pretty much anything taste good. But it is also a banana, which is good for you and helps justify eating it before dinner, or before lunch, or even for breakfast (I only did that once, don't worry).

Oddly enough, I have yet to return to that store since my return to Boca, which is ridiculous because I now live no more than a block away. I just need to get my new roomie, David, on the chocobanana train. I have no doubt that he'll appreciate them nearly as much as I do after the first bite.

No comments: