The craziness of life in Guatemala is all but lost on me these days. I remember at the beginning of the year, when everything seemed new and different and worthy of a blog post or a long email home. Now, even though I'm well aware that life here is different than home, it's normalized. Just in time for me to go back to the States and readjust to crazy life there. Yay.
Tonight I drove past the dead-dog-walking that lives outside our colonia (I'm going to try to take a picture and post it one of these days, but for now think boxer mutt with almost no hair, blood red eyes and a lot of weird pink growths and spots decorating his body. He's truly the ugliest dog I've ever seen, but there's definitely a spot in my heart for him) and headed to Jo and Victor's for a game of Settlers of Catan.
When my parents came to visit last weekend (it was lovely, I'm so glad they came) they served a dual purpose: visitors and mailmen. There was a whole checked suitcase devoted to my requests and treats, including dried apple rings from Friskes and Reeses. Tucked among the snacks were some long-ovedue wedding presents for Jo and Victor, mostly games that would be hard or impossible to get here. Settlers was among them, and it's been a hit so far (we've played it two nights in a row. I love it when I find people who love board games as much as I do). I was the only one of the group who had played the game before, but it only took two games until someone beat me handily. This is not the way games usually go for me; I'm going to have to try harder.
I'm excited about the weekend ahead. It's "Dia de los Muertos" on Sunday. If you don't know what that is, ask anyone who has ever taken a Spanish class and I guarantee they can tell you. I'm excited to experience it firsthand. Recap and some pictures coming soon.
No comments:
Post a Comment