I saw Rosie Thomas in concert a few nights ago. It was her Christmas show, snow was falling, and I was with my sister. It was great.
I only mention this here because the title of my blog is from one of her songs (my favorite one, in fact). She got together with two of my other favorite artists, Sufjan Stevens and Denison Witmer (what I wouldn't give to bump into the three of them hanging out somewhere) and made this album called "These Friends of Mine." It's really fantastic, in my book, and "Much Farther to Go" is hauntingly lovely. Give it a listen, please. I promise you won't regret it:
http://www.myspace.com/rosiethomasmusic
So anyway, I had prepared myself not to hear my song at the concert. For one, it was a Christmas concert, and secondly, my favorite bands never play my favorite songs at their concerts. Death Cab didn't play "A Lack of Color," Of Montreal didn't play "Wraith Pinned to a Mist," Guster didn't play "Rocketship." Yes, I'm still bitter three years later.
Imagine my delight when I heard Rosie start playing the opening guitar for the song. Well, you don't really need to imagine it, you could just ask any of the 30 people sitting closest to me how I felt. I think I left permanent fingernail marks in Anna's arm and there might have been borderline hyperventilation involved. (As a disclaimer, I don't think I would have reacted like that had I not spent most of the day running from one end of the campus to the other trying to accomplish the lengthy to-do list I had written on my hand. I was tired.)
Thanks Rosie. Sorry, fellow concert-goers.
No comments:
Post a Comment