2.25.2009

Mail = Happiness (as do trips to UNESCO world heritage sites and trashy TV)

I got my first letter today! Thanks, [anti-]valentine. Yeah, I'll be yours. I may or may not have skipped through the office holding it to deliver the other piece of mail (a letter for my roommate, who was also quite happy for the delivery).

I've been finding happiness in more and more locations lately. One place was Antigua, the prettiest town I think I've ever been in. A couple interns from here in Guatemala picked me up Sunday and we drove down the winding curvy road to Antigua to walk around, sample some platanos fritos and traditional Guatemalan candies (mmm. So good.) and just to see something other than the big sprawling city of Guate.

Antigua is so pretty, surrounded by volcanoes and hills. All the shops, hotels and houses lining the cobblestone streets are painted in gorgeous colors, and the purple jacaranda trees are in full bloom right now. Everyone's walking around so happily... you can almost forget you have a care in the world.

I'm so excited to explore this country. I'm chomping at the bit for my dear friends to come visit in April (although I'm growing weary of the planning, unfortunately). We're going to take C.A. by storm.

A quick note about the grace I've been given lately. The interns who took me to Antigua were so sweet and join the rather large list of people who have bent over backwards to make my transition into Guatemalan life so easy. Between my roommate's fiance cooking for me when I was sick, my roommate letting me tag everywhere with her, and the people in the office just smiling or laughing when I say the dumbest things (or nothing at all) in Spanish, no one has been anything but lovely toward me. I really appreciate them.

On a much less important note, I can't get enough S, B and Chuck Bass and was able to spend several mindless hours watching them Sunday. Pure bliss.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Lerae, I agree!! Savanna and I loved the city of Antigua. It was fun to stroll the markets and we were able to tour the church that was destroyed by the earthquake. We also spent some time just people watching in the central park with the fountain.

Colin said...

There was nothing [anti] valentine about that! You need to be more of a romantic :-P

Antigua sounds great, let's go there.