Whoot, good to know the cheap, greasy staple that is the $5 Hot-and-Ready at Little Ceasers knows no borders. Although I'm feeling pretty stuffed up and out of it today, having that for lunch perked me up a bit. didn't do wonders for my stomach, but it helped my heart.
Over lunch there was a discussion about Hispanics in the US - whether everyone calls them Mexicans, immigration, language... I didn't take part in the conversation because I was 1)trying desperately to focus in spite of my headache and 2) I just wasn't up to expressing my feelings in Spanish. But it did get me thinking about how I percieve myself here in Guatemala. I find myself using "them" all the time to describe, well, everyone who isn't me.
Nowhere is this more evident than in my drives into work in the morning. Traffic is always really bad going into downtown, and it gets a lot worse when the police officers stand in the street and direct traffic (I don't THINK that's the goal, but I wonder sometimes).
"This would never happen in the United States. What do they think they're doing? Don't they know that stoplights are for a reason? Everyone drives so badly here. What are they thinking? Those bus drivers! I can't believe it took them five hours to clean up that crash!"
It all seemed like innocent observances at the time, but I realized today that it's quickly becoming a habit, and one that I want to break. (Side note: there is a lot of corruption in the police system, so if I find out that creating traffic jams is part of that, I will take back portions of this post.)
In other news, nothing much has changed. I love my job but can't write about it here and nothing else particularly exciting happens during the week -- work takes up most of my day, then I come home, eat, read and sleep -- so there's not much more to say.
Here's to a blogworthy weekend.
No comments:
Post a Comment