1.12.2010

oh, oh-ten

Hi 2010. I know we're rather recent acquaintances, but I feel like old friends. I've been thinking about you a lot over the past year, worrying, dreading, dreaming about our life together and what it would hold. Maybe that's why our several-week-old relationship feels more like 12 years than 12 days.

We met in Grand Rapids, sitting on Colin's couch. My eyes may still have been a bit puffy from mourning the passage of the last 22 years and all the changes they've brought, but by the time you came around I was happily chatting with my best friend about the year ahead and the exciting promise it held. Marriage? Apartment? Job? School? I felt ready for it all.

You came home with me and met my family, laughed and planned and played with us. I resented you when you asked me to pack up my clothes and sort through piles of memories and get in Roger on the road to Pittsburgh, but I did it. It hurt but I did it.

And now here we are in Pittsburgh and you were right. Time passes and it's not a bad thing. As I look out the window of this coffee shop and see the snow falling down, I'm thankful for you and the chance to see and and enjoy a new place. To write about its peculiarities. I mean, any place as obsessed with sports as this town is merits more than a few blog entries, I'm sure.

No comments: