11.01.2008

ENGL 290 and POLS 312, no, CAS 312 and PHIL 211... wait...

I registered for my very last class at Calvin last week.

I'm not exactly jumping for joy. You have to understand that registering for classes is one of my favorite things to do. I drew up a semester-by-semester plan early in my freshman year of college (it's titled "Lerae's Life," if that gives you any clue of its significance to me). I eagerly awaited classes to be posted each semester, and painstakingly fit my classes and work schedule together, always taking into account the professors. I had first choices, second choices, and occasionally even third choices. My advising periods were record breaking; I laid my plan on my advisor's desk, they looked down at it and up at me with a hint of fear in their eyes, and signed off.

I like planning classes so much that I hired out my services to other people. Well, "hired out" might be a bit misleading; I begged people to let me plan their academic careers for them. My suitemate, my roommate, my sister, poor random freshmen on the path: no one was spared.

But now it's over.

It's not even a real class; Calvin has this January term they call "Interim," where you take the same class every day for three weeks. I'm taking this photography class that looks great called "Negotiating Documentary." Come January 27th, I'm no longer a Calvin Knight. Come February 2nd, I'll no longer be working or residing in the United States. Hard to believe. Sad. A bunch of "lasts" are coming up, and in some ways they're eclipsing the "firsts" that I know are around the bend.

Maybe my sister will let me register for her classes for her from Guatemala.

1 comment:

The Kings said...

I did not know you were moving to Guatemala. What is up with the family gossip chain? It has failed!